Captain to Pilot, Captain to Pilot: x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, mg <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Captain to Pilot, Captain to Pilot: x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:03:20 -0800
Okay, but you dinna mention your actual mileages.

I drove from Placerville (1800' to Lake Tahoe over
Echo Summit (6k'), a round tri-yup of 130 miles.
Refill was 5 gallons even, so 26 mpg with

4.22 rear end   Datsun box   1275cc
S head, ported, rimflows, S dizzy
10:1 at least, 89RON Arco gas
266 cam, stock rocks until the 1.5s come
45 DCOE, K&N, Cold airfeed, Kenlowe,
Maniflow LCB.  RC40 rear muffler.
T  h i s   i s   o n e   h a p p y   m o t o r .

Now I have finally got the 3.7 installed and shox
and swaybar too. Oboy! It doesn't feel like any
seven-league boots. I roll along the freeway at
36-3800 rpm and they pass me like I was parked.

The 2nd to 3rd gap do seem bigger, though!

According to Gerard's site chart, I'm doin 20.8
per 1k rpm and 4 grand is like 82 mph.
Maybe my stock (71) tach is lyin' to me.
Could be the 155x13 "78" Bridgestones.

The jerk at the tire store tells me a 13/70x13
has a 22.7" circumference & 918 revs per mile vs
the 155x13 "78" Bridgestones I run with 22.75 and
914 revs per mile. He didn't know what an aspect
ratio was or revs per mile until I helped him, so
this Harry Connick imitator was not much help.

Shall we put the great minds of the Western World on it?
Maybe the other traffic was just in a hurry, eh?

David McCartney
Perplexed in Placerville