Re: Pesky exhaust leak on my 1500 engine

To: john@ssrimusic.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pesky exhaust leak on my 1500 engine
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:19:26 EDT
In a message dated 6/28/04 12:12:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
john@ssrimusic.com writes:

> - is the only other likely source of the exhaust leak a newly-cracked
> manifold?
> - will driving around with an exhaust leak all day, say at the Tamaqua LBC
> rally, damage the engine?  I just spent 2 years putting in the new one, so,
> ya know...
> - Is it time to just replace the Zenith Stromberg carb with a Weber?
> - Do I have other options? I'm running historic plates, so the car doesn't
> need to be inspected
> - Does anyone know where I can get a Weber carb cheaply?

John:

I had a manifold leak and solved it (I think) by using two manifold gaskets.
I used the hi-temp copper spray stuff in between the gaskets and on either
side of them.  Of course if you have a crack, that is a horse of a different
color.  I patched a manifold crack a few years ago by going to the hardware
store
and purchasing a $3 tub of furnace cement which I forced into and around the
crack and let dry.  The heat did the rest.  Is it time to replace the Zenith
with a Weber.  IMHO it was time to do that when the car was new on the showroom
floor.  <G>

Seeya at Tamaqua, buddy.  Not sure I will have the Midget up there yet--I
don't have a trailer or dolly to haul it at this point, but I'm working on it.
If not, we will run it in our Chevy. 8^(.  But at least we will be there.  8^).

--David C.