Re: 1275- Starting with the block

To: Billy and Ann Green <bgreen99@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: 1275- Starting with the block
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:48:06 -0700
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Billy

Just my 2 cents.

Decide just how much you want to change (upgrade) on your bugeye before
you get started on the engine. A good 1275 is really fine for the
bugeye, and you can still use a ribcase tranny with it. You don't have
to upgrade a lot of other things until later if you want - although disc
brakes are highly recommended.

My 1275 was toast, only things good were the block & crank. I built my
engine first - a street 1380. Then decided that the power would wear out
my brand new ribcase, so upgraded to 5 speed. Bigger tires for that
power, so needed bigger lug bolts, added oil cooler, regulator, electric
fuel pump, Aldon dizzy, bigger SU, yada yada yada. All to support the
engine.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way my bugeye drives with the 1380 &
5speed (SWEET!), but it definitely kept me off the road longer than a
more stock set up would have. Oh, and cost just a tad more too (have
told wife yet).

Good luck with your rebuild, and enjoy it!
Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, CA