Overheating - solved?

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating - solved?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 19:46:52 -0400
Hey guys,

You all might recall I was having a severe overheating problem. I've
tried everything I could think of. Timing was way advanced, so I thought
that was it, but no luck. Finally decided to pull the water pump and
guess what? THERE'S NO HOLE IN THE BODY OF THE PUMP FOR THE WATER TO
PASS THROUGH!!!! This is one of those "hi flow" pumps from mini mania
too. But I looked back in the hose connection after I took it off and it
looked completely blocked. Covered the bypass connection with my finger
and tried to blow through it - NOTHING! COMPLETELY BLOCKED! Grrrr! Guess
I'll check my parts more carefully from now on, but you really don't
expect to have THAT kind of problem with a brand new part (or an old one
for that matter!

I feel stupid for taking so long to figure out what was wrong. But I've
only been working on it on and off since it kept aggravating me so much.
Plus in May I tried to get it inspected and it failed because of a hole
in the trunk floor. So I took several weeks to leisurely get around to
fixing that.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can convince MM to swap it even though it's been a
while. But it's obviously a manufacturing error. And I REALLY hope I
haven't damaged the engine with my several tests while trying to
diagnose this thing.

Eddie
1971 Midget - Bebop