Re: Installation of Head - Any Tips?

To: JZIMMERM@albemarle.org, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installation of Head - Any Tips?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:10:59 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/04 6:48:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
JZIMMERM@albemarle.org writes:

> Second, any tips or tricks that you've used to ensure good had gasket
> sealing?  I'm using the ARP studs with the appropriate lubricant (9 studs
> only) and I've got the tightening order.  I'm using the APT comp head gasket
> as well.

Yes, Jackson, one.  Before you put the studs into the block, ream out the
opening for each stud.  Over time, as head studs are tightened, the block has a
tendency to pull up a bit around the hole, which does not allow the head to be
pulled flush down to the block.  I used a sharp large drillbit.  You just want
to ream the bit of metal from around the hole.  Just before inserting the
stud, blow the hole out good with an air gun (eye protection please).  Goop and
gunk tends to get into the holes, not to mention anti freeze and oil, all of
which will not allow the studs to seat in the hole properly.

--David C.