Re: sputterin car fixed? me hopes

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sputterin car fixed? me hopes
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:43:06 -0700 (PDT)
I am running a filter before the pump and one after the pump with no ill
effects.

So what is the final configuration that you have?  High Pressure pump with
regulator?

Did you use the LP pump without the regulator and have the same problem.

William Thompson <Willy@thompsoncarpentry.com> wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions last week, on the causes of my cars
problems.

The problem started back in April when I took the car on the trip to
Dragons tail, while I was there I had some problems, one of which was a
fuel pump that I let the smoke out of. While there, The only fuel pump
available was one that put out 4-6. I was advised by the group that I
could use that pump, if I cut the pressure with a regulator, which I
tried. With the regulator on the car ran for crap, so I just ran it
without the regulator.

Fast forward to last weekend,, Im coming home form Dragon boat festival
and the car is sputterin, I take off the fuel line, and see VERY LITTLE
if any fuel coming thru, I reach under the car and rap on the pump, and
I get home. So I figure that the pump is bad (it was) and I get a new
one, figuring this is the perfect time to get a 1.5-4 pump that was
recommended, in the first place. Car still has the problems, I go thru
all the suggestions that you guys tried to help me out with, including
taking the carbs off the car to give em a good cleaning, there was crud
in the bowl bottoms, and didn't see how else easier to get that out than
to just take the carbs off., Put everything back together, still the
problem, maybe even a little worse? Yes its worse, I didn't get the fuel
line into the bowl quite right, okay now got that back together, and its
running better, but still bad like when I started.

My mechanic buddy comes over "just to see" what Im up to, and basically
makes me do everything all you guys suggested, while he watches, (pretty
sure to see if Im doing things right, which is WONDERFUL, its what I
need!
) he says wow, that's got me a bit stumped, lets go for a ride, and you
sow me what its doing. So we do, and he says its like shes starving for
fuel. DING DONG the light goes on, I tell dean about the first
paragraph, he says I wish there was a way of turning off the pump so
that we can see how that feels when she loses gumption, "I say I just so
happen to have a swith in line, called a burgler deterent LMAO" we try
that, and it acts up of course, but not the exact same way. and he says
if I were you , I would get a higher out put pump, and try that, "what
do they cost"? (Dean would be head honcho in the we tight program! ) I
looked at him and said I really didn't give a crap, I was going to try
it. I bought the pump Wenesday, and then Thursday came down with strep
throat, been in bed for 3 days, today I couldn't stand it no more, I
went out and put the "cube" pump on (I know that every one hates so
much) but by Jesus its running like seabiscuit in the 4th.

Now I do believe that I had multiple problems, and think (HOPE LIKE
HELL) they are fixed now, Its an all consuming thing when your girl
isn't running right, and its summer time :-)

On side note, can I add in another filter before the carbs? I have one
before the pump, and wonder if two filters will hurt the car??