Interesting, but no LBC (And NO Political content) 8^)

To: SpridgetASSn@justbrits.com, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Interesting, but no LBC (And NO Political content) 8^)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:26:37 EDT
August 10-12 will be a great time to put the top down, drive out to a very
dark place in the country, and watch the skies.   Read the following:

--David C.

Meteors:

 In 1862, the comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle passed into the inner solar system. Its
trajectory carried it through Earth's orbital path around the sun. Although
there was never a threat of collision, the comet did leave some surprises
behind. We all know how dump trucks will leave a trail of rock and rubble
behind
them, and as you drive through that debris, some will fly up and hit your car.
Well, comets are like cosmic dump trucks, and Earth's atmosphere is like the
windshield of your car. Swift-Tuttle left billions of small dust particles from
its tail in our orbital path. As Earth travels through these comet remains,
they strike our atmosphere, burn up, and we witness a flash of light in the sky
-- a meteor. In general, meteors, or shooting stars as they are also called,
can be found sporadically on any night of the year. But during Aug. 10-12, our
planet will be traveling right through the debris left behind by Swift-Tuttle,
and we will see spectacular meteor showers. Since most of the meteors will
appear to be originating in the constellation Perseus, this annual event is
called the Perseid meteor shower. It is anticipated to be especially
spectacular
this year since it is coinciding with the new moon and there will be no extra
light to interfere. Thomas R. Webber is director of the Heritage Planetarium in
Blount County. If you have a question about an astronomical happening, e-mail
him at skyguy@blountk12.org.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: