Re: Replacing (was Removing) Rear Axle(s)?

To: chuck <cciaffone@earthlink.net>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing (was Removing) Rear Axle(s)?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
chuck <cciaffone@earthlink.net> wrote:

Q: Should I replace both or just the old,
broken, original axle?

Also, I recently replaced the rear wheel
bearings. Should I do them again?

thanks,
chuck

Chuck,  BTDT ;<(

I needed serious slide hammering, so consider yourself lucky.

I fix what breaks. I replaced only the broken one and have had no problem
since. (I did just have a differential problem which may have been caused by my
agressive attempts to push the old broken axle out from the other side before I
got a big enough slide hammer.)

Used axles show up from time to time on e-bay. That's where I got mine. I
slapped it in there to get the car rolling enough to see what else was wrong
and it's been in there 2 years now! There are also suppliers of new and even
hardened axles. I'm sure someone else will chime in or I'll search my archive.
I keep hearing the important thing to remember about a used axle is to get one
from the same side you need. They take on a natural twist or torque and break
more easily if the rotation is reversed.

Good luck,

Jack

Check out the new British Cars Forum: