Re: rear axle help

To: nase@ptd.net
Subject: Re: rear axle help
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:08:13 -0500
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:02:59 -0400 "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net> writes:
> I'm about ready to put the brakes and diff back in the rear housing.
> do I need to dress the axle to hub gasket or the diff to rear
> gasket?

I use grease for the hub gaskets, although some use hylomar.  I use
grease because I tend to have the axles out of my racecar more often than
your normal street car and they come apart more easily that way.  Hylomar
is fine.  If your hubs are in good shape (no wobble) either will work.
Leaking is usually caused by a bad hub wobbling the axle around.  Don't
forget the O-rings!

I use hylomar around the diff gaskets, although I'll probably go to
grease there, too.  I tend to swap diffs several times a year.  Many
racers I know just use hylomar or silicone without a gasket.

> How about thread locker on any of the axle/hub bolts or screws.

Good idea on the small screws, but that's the only place you'll need
threadlocker.  You should renew the spring washers on the diff bolts.

> Should I use sealer on the rear drain, filler and breather threads?

Shouldn't be necessary.

> Also the Haynes manual says the axle hub gasket needs to be
> compressed
> before the final tightening.  What does this mean?

Run the lug nuts down the studs tight to compress the gasket before a
final tightening on the screws.  I've replaced those damned phillips head
screws with countersunk allen head screws.  They are much easier to
tighten.

David Littlefield.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Check out the new British Cars Forum: