First drive

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: First drive
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:48:15 -0400
Tetanus (my big headache, I mean Healey) runs, moves, drives, and stops
on it's own.
It only took 3 months! I still have a month to go on the interior so it
will be ready for the Jersey cruise 10/3.

Some minor glitches like a loose upper radiator hose that kept me wet on
my trip around the neighborhood. (no windscreen yet) Heck, no fenders
either ;) All those nuts and bolts that I dropped trying to put the car
together that never hit the floor, all fell out. Or was that some
important parts falling off?

I do have a mechanical clutch problem not because I have a BETTER master
cylinder, but because I think I boinked the release bearing plate on the
pressure plate when trying to muscle in a 4 ton tranny while on my kness
inside the car. There is a severe pulse when I step on the clutch and
it's making a strange noise at mid pedal. So out with the tranny real soon.

And no I didn't rig an accellerator cable, I spent 10 bucks and 12 hours
fabricating a few rods to make a nightmare linkage system work.
All I know is when the pedal is floored, the carbs are wide open and it
idles real low, like about 500 rpms so I must have done something right.
And with no pictures to guide me. A few plumbing fittings and some
bushings along with some 3' of rod from the hardware store and a few
throttle balls from the auto store and loads of cuss words and it's
amazing what you can make when you scream loud enough!!!

All in all, the car runs well. Pretty quick too.
Any racers out there want to trade a quite fuel pump for a Holly
electric that will squirt across the garage? It's as noisy as those
square jobs!
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ