RE: Oil requirements (long) 12 Sep 2004 12:34:32 -0700

To: hobbycars@cox.net (Jacques Le Clainche)
Subject: RE: Oil requirements (long) 12 Sep 2004 12:34:32 -0700
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:27:06 -0400
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Jacques...

I've used Oil Extreme synthetic in my
Rivergate motor (after a 3000
mile break-in on Valvoline 10/40)
for 6500 miles.

I love the stuff but may go back to
mineral oil..we'll see.

Could you hold off a bit on your switchover to Mobile 1, Jacques?

My mechanic has some news
on this stuff of a negative nature. He's
supposed to email me the info. I'll see
him this morning and get right back to
you this afternoon.

Fact:
Synthetic oil, if used in "ventilated" rather
than "closed loop" applications will slowly
"disappear" from the crankcase...the stuff oxidizes in open air.

BTW:
Don't be surprised to see a little blue smoke out the exhaust of the
Spridget
if you have the SLIGHTEST play in
valve guides, good (intake) oil seals
notwithstanding. Synthetics get by on
excellent film strength rather than
viscosity after all, and flow like water
when warmed.

I'm going through this right now with my
new Rivergate motor.

However, Rivergate did NOT
"build" the alum head. It was provided
fully "built". Rivergate simply "installed".
It looks like the head "builder" did some
sloppy work or used less than quality
guides...maybe a combo of both.

The head is being inspected as we speak...as I said, we'll see.

Oil Extreme (they've got a website) makes
a fully synthetic 20W-50.

This product was tested by Grass Roots as well as David Vizard. Over
Valvoline
10w-40, it produced an average
of 5 more horsepower over Valvoline
throughout the rpm range of a Chevy V8
engine David personally put together and
used for oil tests. Grass Roots had similiar results with a bunch of
cars they
dynoed in comparison tests with Oil Extreme Synthetics, though I don't
recall
which oils they were testing Oil Extreme
against.

Sounds good but IMHO there is one
caveat to this.

ANY synthetic should provide more power
than it's mineral oil counterpart by way of less internal "drag", to
begin with.

So, it would mean a lot more to me
to see "synthetic oil vs synthetic oil" tests
to prove any superiority in this respect on
the part of Oil Extreme in terms of the
Vizard test at least.

I'll get back to you on the info regardinging Mobile 1.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: