Re: 1275 newbie 13:15:22 -0700

To: kgb@frontiernet.net (kgb)
Subject: Re: 1275 newbie 13:15:22 -0700
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:12:33 -0400
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, Kate...

Fact is ALL brand name modern oils are
really excellent in what they do, most especially when compared to the
oils of
"yesterday". This according to David Mann
who wrote a bood called the "Oil Bible".

This guy is a petroleum engineer and I have a couple of mails out to him
dealing
specifically with Mobile 1 and oxidation
characteristics of petroleum-based oils
as compared to synthetics when run in
"ventilated" rather than "closed loop"
systems. Hopefully, I'll hear from him on
both in near future.

I spent most of the day yesterday on various oil websites other than
those
touting a specific brand or type, and most especially those comparing
petroleum
with synthetic as I searched for anything
negative on Mobile 1 which according to
my mechanic, got some negative reports
over the last year.

Well, all I've come up with is no negative
reports on any of either type of product
including Mobile 1, and tons of empircal
stuff supporting the fact that while today's
brand name petroleum oils are "adequate"
for today's (and yesterday's) automobiles
(including Castrol, of course), synthetics
have it all over petroleum stuff hands
down in all respects, which does not surprise me.

But they all fall into the category of
pretty damn excellent product, petroleum
and synthetic alike.

The only negative reports include those
oils/products containing PTFE (Teflon).

There is nothing to suggest synthetic
oxidizes "in the open" any faster than
petroleum based oil (still can't find that
report I saw months ago to the contrary)
or that Mobile 1 has any type of problem
at all as suggested by my mechanic in
our past discussions.

I've used Oil Extreme synthetic for quite
a while now and will continue to do so,
since it has gotten excellent reports/reviews.

It would appear that the only stuff you want to avoid is the cheapo
petroleum-based  stuff which
apparently lacks the additive packages
of brand name mfg's/suppliers.

Other than that it's a question of differences in oil/filter change
times,
deposit formation, cold starting qualities,
heat handling abilities, etc. But for us common folk and our daily
drivers, they're
all good. :)

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)