Re: Steering column lock

To: Dick Byrne <lindalnhvt@nhvt.net>
Subject: Re: Steering column lock
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 08:54:42 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dick -

First off, the door key won't fit in the ignition lock.  They are
different key blanks.

Now here's a way you can proceed:

Underneath the dash, about halfway back to the firewall, is a steering
column support.  Loosen the two bolts, but don't remove them.  You just
need some vertical play.  If you find you really need more vertical
play, you can remove them, but be careful, you can bugger up the
collapsing steering column.
Remove the phillips screws holding the cowling around the steering
column.  The third one is buried under the dash, which is why you needed
the vertical play.
Wrestle the cowling halves off.  You will have to twist and grunt a bit.
The steering column lock/ignition switch assembly is held on by two
bolts that were designed to have their heads shear off when they were
tightened (an anti-theft "feature").  Use a hacksaw or rotary tool with
a cutoff wheel to cut slots in the remaining heads.  Back tham out with
a screwdriver.
Remove the assembly and let it hang.
Bolt the steering column back up for trailering.

The bad news is that the usual suppliers will charge you over $100 for
the lock cylinder and mount assembly.  If you can get the numbers off
the lock cylinder, there are folks (the name Pete Groh pops into my
mind), who can cut you a new key based on those numebrs.

Chris K.

Dick Byrne wrote:

>I just picked up a 73 Midget yesterday. The PO had no ignition key, but
>had a door key made. It didn't even go in the ignition hole, maybe because
>it looks a bit buggered up anyway. My problem, other than the obvious
>missing key - the wheels aren't straight and the column is locked.  This
>makes trailer removal more of a challenge.
>I have the Bentley manual, and many others, but haven't found out how to
>remove this assembly and unlock the column yet.  Can anyone help? TIA
>
>Dick B. in NH
>66 Sprite running
>74 Midget waiting

Check out the new British Cars Forum: