disc brake conversion

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: disc brake conversion
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:33:36 -0700
I've decided to convert the Austin A35 over to disc brakes.  I'm watching a
couple e-bay auctions but would certainly welcome hearing from any west coast
listers who might have a disc brake midget front end rotting in their parts
car.  I'd happily pay a fair price for the needed bits if you can spare them.

With unobtainable front drum hydraulic cylinders (just different enough from a
BE to screw things up), totally funky rear brakes, and a strong desire to add
more "GO", I first have to add more "STOP".

A note for Spridget history buffs, the front suspension for the first BE was
taken directly from the Austin A35.  For that matter, so was the whole power
train.  To do the conversion from drum to disc is as easy as the spridget
conversion.  You only have to exchange the steering arms as the A35 had a very
different style of steering gear.  When they grafted the A35 suspension to the
BE, they grabbed the steering rack from the Morris Minor to complete the
set-up that served so well in the spridgets.  In essence, the Austin A35 is
just a boxy bugeye with crappy brakes.

Glen

Check out the new British Cars Forum: