Re: [midgetsprite] Re: SUVs on a Snowy Road

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: SUVs on a Snowy Road
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:58:48 -0500 reply-type=original with any abuse report
> Not in terms of the original context
> in which vertical seating position was mentioned, David. Let's go back
> to square
> #1, here.

Square #1 in this case was you stating what an advantage the higherseating
position of an SUV was when driving Route 95 in the snow. I am not familiar
with Rt 95 nor the NYC Metro area, Thank God!!! I guess New Yuckers just sit
on snowy highways and watch the pretty lights. Here in Chicagoland we tend
to still want to get home the same day that we left work. When that added
visibility comes at the cost of a higher CG, it ain't worth it. The added
stability of a lower CG is much more useful when driving on the road in
snow. 4wd means that you will probably get there ok if you go slow enough.
My old Escort wagon with fwd, 5-speed and handbrake was much safer on a
snowy road than most of the SUVs I have seen.

> And in any event, whether I chose to sit
> high or low (on "top of" or "within") my
> Spridget makes no difference to the
> vehicle's center of gravity.

I have seen your pictures, Cap'n, YOUR position would not affect the CG of a
bicycle, let alone a Spridget ;-)

David Lieb

Check out the new British Cars Forum: