Re: Judson blowers

To: Rick & Carolyn <wrongwayricky@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Judson blowers
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 23:36:25 -0800
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Rick,

LT-NS

A Judson and a 1275 are not a good match. If I remember correctly you
need to "overdrive" the Judson on a 1275 by resizing a drive pulley
to get enough boost. You also want to keep the engine at low
compression (typically 7.5:1) to avoid detonation and heat problems.
Also, you will find the stock Holley a very poor choice as well as
the manifold that goes with it. I had a custom aluminum manifold made
to accommodate a 1-3/4 inch SU. I have pix. It's a one off, but the
guy who did it for me has the molds and would probably make another
for me if you wanted. The other things that a couple have tried is a
water injection system to help cool the unit, but I haven seen
anything definitive on it. Also, there is a Judson list, though it
gets virtually no activity. I know because I'm on it and seldom see
any posts.

George Folchi, who rebuilds these units, recommends cutting a groove
in the harmonic balancer to drive the Judson, but it seems like a bad
idea to me. I have another solution I can discuss with you if you
wish to go forward with the idea.

Go to http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool and search on "Judson" if
you want to subscribe.

Gerard

--
One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it.
~French Proverb

http://www.gerardsgarage.com/FS_Garage.htm