Re: Electrics - scratchin my head

To: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>, <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Electrics - scratchin my head
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 00:13:26 -0500
Phil,
I had a similar problem with my 1977 midget.  But it only continued running
when the emergency brake was set when I tried to turn off the ignition.
Problem was traced to a shorted diode that is buried up under the dash in
the wiring harness of a midget.  (Looks like a 1.5 inch long black bump in
the harness, it has connectors on each end, pull off one end to see if this
cures your problem.)

The diode sends current through the brake warning light to test the
operation of the brake warning light when starting the car.  If the diode
fails to a shorted condition, like mine did, this provides a return path
through the ignition switch only when you have the emergency brake engaged.
If the emergency brake is disengaged, the sneak path is left open and the
car shuts off fine.  You can disconnect the diode and things will operate
fine, or you can fabricate a new diode assembly, installed with the proper
polarity so that current can only flow to the light and not back through the
diode, if you're electrically inclined.  But you cannot buy this part, only
hope to fabricate a suitable replacement.  By the way, if the diode fails to
an "open" condition which is the more normal failure mode of diodes, this
problem will not occur since there is no way to have the DC current backflow
through the diode if it is good or if it fails to an "open" condition.

Hope this helps you (and any other listers that may chase this ghost.)

Dick Rz.
1977 Midget - Maggie.