A-Series Aluminum Head version 0.80j on rain.CC.Lehigh.EDU

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A-Series Aluminum Head version 0.80j on rain.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:38:34 -0500
Anyone have any complaints about the aluminum head manufactured by
Pierce? Overall I think it is a nice piece, but there is one thing in
particular I am not happy about. The spark plug hole was threaded all
the way into the chamber leaving several exposed threads, and sharp
edges where they break through the edge of the chamber. I bought a fully
assembled head and hoped to use it after checking the seating, but now I
want to machine away the exposed threads. Exposed threads in a
combustion chamber has always been a no-no, but usually we're concerned
with the steel threads of a protruding spark plug. Do all of these heads
come this way or is mine a reject? Are sharp edges of aluminum not a
potential detonation problem?
John
67 MG Midget