Re: tach help

To: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: tach help
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:19:30 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Gerard wrote:

> I need someone to remind me what needs to be done when using a positive
> ground tach in a negative ground car. I'm referring to the early large
> diameter style used in MKI's and II's. I can't remember if I can use it
> as is, or if something has to be switched inside.

DON'T USE IT AS IS! You will fry it.
Pull the guts out, unsolder the wire from the spade terminal and the
resistor next to it. Swap those 2, resolder the connections.
Now flip the white wire loop 180*. Use 2 colors of tape, make 2 bands of
blue and 2 bands of red on each side of the loop, cut the wire, connect
blue to red, and red to blue.
It's easier to do them to explain.
Or if you have a later small face tach, yank out the guts of each,
dremel the large housing to accept the guts of the smaller tach, pop off
the large tach needle, remove the large tach dial, they will fit the
small tach guts.
The very late (74 and on) tachs used the dial screws mounted in a
verticle position, this tach will not work as a direct swap for the
larger tach conversion. (well it will, I am running one but that's a
different thread) If you have a later small tach MGB's are the same,
make sure it has 2 plug in white wires (the internal loop) and the dial
has it's mounting screws horizontal.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ