25 miles on the Bugeye..

To: Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 25 miles on the Bugeye..
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:53:55 -0600
Hello all!

Well I can see why you like these little cars.  Neat to put around in
(948 engine).  Lots of looks at the car which does look nice if I say
so myself.  And i see why I stayed away from them for so long...  20
miles in and it starts missing and the oil pressure drops to 20 at
idle.  Not sure if I will make it to pick up my son and get us both
home.  Decide that it's tome to do some basics, air up the tires, gap
valves to .012, set point gap to .018,  gap plugs to .025, notice that
plug in front (#4 ?) is really sooty while the others are perfect, this
is in conjunction with tight valves on same cylinder, funky noise in
back goes away when my friend rides in car, car has an intermittant
stumble.  I must confess that timing is only by ear at this point,
choke will not stay engaged so driving in cooler temps requires at
least 3 hands, 4 if trying to shift.. all in all,   I must say that
Datsun trannies are REALLY nice.

Looks like I gotta order some shocks and have a silver solder person
attack the disc brake A arms... hmm..  All that I really have to do is
replace the kingpin on the current A arms.. I"ll take a look at that
next..

Lester