Re: What does MG stand for?

To: <uniquelittlecars@yahoo.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: What does MG stand for?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:55:49 -0600 reply-type=original with any abuse report
> I told him i thought that MG stands for  - Morris Garage
> He said NO WAY
> So now we have a few beers on it.
> So what does MG mean or stand for?

That is a loaded question. The answer is fraught with semantics in the worst
possible way.
The M.G. Car Company was named "in honor of Morris Garages" which was a
chain(?) of dealerships owned by Morris. The cars were not associated with
Morris Garages, nor built there, it was a completely separate company that
happened to be owned by the same dude that supplied the money for M.G.; the
same dude, in fact, that was being flattered by this M.G. name. What a
coincidence ;-)

Nonetheless, they are named M.G. because of the existence of Morris Garages.
The letters could just as well represent "Mastercard Gouger", "Money Gone",
"Metallic Gnome", or any number of clever combinations.

David Lieb
1972 M.G. Midget

PS. Cecil Kimber was the "guiding light" behind M.G. in the Pre-WWII days
when M.G. cars were built to order in very small numbers; he always used the
periods in the name, so I am using them since we are discussing the origins
of the name.