Carburettor mixture problem

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carburettor mixture problem
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:31:37 EST
I'm having trouble with the carbs on a recent purchase of a'73 1275 Midget.
I cannot turn in the mixture screws enough to keep the thing from running
rich.  I popped the float bowls and it seems the little adjustor is missing
from
the float on the rear carb and I was wondering if that might be the problem?

Symptoms are:

- Runs rich with poor performance and black smoke.

- #3 plug fouls and is wet with fuel.  (also misses)

- all plugs are fouled with carbon after a short run time.

The car seems to have good spark to all the plugs, so I don't think its an
ignition problem.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this sort of thing?

Tim