Re: What the heck motor is it ? and HELP please

To: "Mike Rambour" <mikey@b2systems.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: What the heck motor is it ? and HELP please
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:52:27 -0800
Hi Mike,

----- Original Message -----
From "Mike Rambour" <mikey at b2systems.com>
To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 12:15 PM
Subject: What the heck motor is it ? and HELP please

>    Hi,
>
>   I am back, around 2 years ago, I asked for help in getting a spridget
> motor together for a old British car and I spent a fortune getting a motor
> together

>   The motor has a "1100" plate on the side and the serial plate matches no
> literature I can find.  The serial is clearly "8G150 R S 41653"  I
expected
> to find a 9cc, 10cc or 12cc.  Now I purchased freeze plugs from Moss and
> they did not fit, the Moss ones are a tiny bit to small, I measured the
> holes in the block at 1.623 and the freeze plugs are 1.620..oops more
> headaches.  What the heck motor do I have ?

Likely a gold seal rebuilt motor with their tag on the block top.  The 1100
nailed on the side of the block is a 1098 type.

The freeze plugs are 1.625 or 1 5/8" and you can get them at any NAPA store.
With a sealant around the edge of the hole and a flattening of the plug when
you put it in, it'll fit fine.

>    So since I am trying to mock it up and make the motor mounts I ignored
> that and assembled the gearbox to the motor, it wont fit either.  The
> gearbox is one I purchased from someone on this list also 2 years ago, he
> said it was a "ok" gearbox, could use work but would work as-is.  It is a
> ribbed gearbox from I assume a 1275. 2 things are wrong here, 1 the input
> shaft is .498 and the bushing in the crank is .480 so they don't fit,

You have the wrong bushing.  They're all 1/2" as is the input shaft.  Get
the right bushing, they're common items.

> but it looks like the part where is enlarges after the bushing will hit
the
> bushing, of course this is guessing at this time.  I am using a "thick"
> motor backplate, its about 5/16", I also have a "thin" backplate that I
> purchased but I think that is wrong for the 1100.

Use the thick back plate and it'll fit.  Make sure you don't have one bolt
too many holding the plate to the block as it will intefere with the trans
mating up to it.

> can that shaft come out the front ? without damaging anything
> of course,

Not on a rib case.  Comes out from inside the gearbox.

>    I am trying to mate the gearbox to the motor and get my motor mounts
> done this week while I have access to a welder...then I have many other
> issues like no distributor and not even the input shaft that fits into the
> motor and drives the distributor, I sure hope I can fit that with the
crank
> in :(

That will fit in fine with a long 5/16 bolt screwed into it as a handle.

>   When I could not get the tranny attached today, my wife kind of lost it
> and actually suggested I throw all this money away and start over with a
> 1275 later this year.  I

The 1098 is a decent engine and should work fine in a Singer.  It has better
low end torque than a 1275 so is easier to pussy foot around town.

Sounds like you're more frustrated than anything.  Take a deep breath and
throw the money up to my place if that doesn't work!!!

Best, Paul A