RE: Non-LBC: Renault, etc

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Non-LBC: Renault, etc
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:42:06 -0800
The first four cars I drove were a 1966 Renault  R8 (I took my driving test
in it),  a 1956 Renault "4 CV", a 1959 Peugeot 403, and a 1963 Simca 1000.
None of those cars were memorable, and both their top speed and their
handling, especially the Renault "4 CV", were underwhelming, even for the
period...  so was the acceleration... but reliable they were, at least
compared with other cars of the time. What car(s) gave the reputation in the
US that French cars are unreliable?

A friend of mine had a Renault 8 Gordini,  and its performance was actually
impressive.

JLC

Kirk wrote:It is interesting to see this.  My stepmother was a Renault lover
and had 4.
Two of the upside bathtub designs, the real early ones and two like this.
One of my best friends parents also had one of the older bathtub designs.
They
were for some reason all very reliable.  We put lots of miles on them and
they
held up just fine.  The latter one came with real plush leather seats and
handled very well.   We used to use my friends parents to go surfing and
would
stack 4 long boards on top.  I recall having to push it up hills with all
the
weight with it's slush box automatic.  We drove the dog out of that one and
it
just kept running and running with no issues.

A reliable French car?  But it was. .  at least the 5 of them that crossed
my
path.  My step brother crashed one of them on Misson Gorge Road in San
Diego.

This one has been ruined with the stupid spoiler and pimp covering on the
seats.