Shysters

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Shysters
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:27:43 EST
My son called me a couple of weeks ago and told me that the "Check Engine"
light was on on his Saturn.  I told him to take the car to Advance Auto or Auto
Zone and they would plug in their OBD unit and get a read out as to what was
wrong.   He said there was a Pep Boys near where he worked.  I told him I
wasn't sure that they did that but he could check.

Well he showed up here with a handwritten list from Pep Boys with about $800
worth of work that they said he needed.  That was AFTER charging the boy, who
makes low wages working part-time at a grocery store, $80 TO DO THE DAMNED
TEST!

I looked over the list and they had  "Spark Plug Wires" on it--that signaled
to me that it was a scam because it has  been just a bit under a year yet that
I replaced the spark plug wires with brand new ones.  The list was nothing
but a scam to suck the boy in and steal him blind.  I am sure something on the
list may have been a valid problem.  One thing that was suspicious was that
they didn't provide a printed list, but a hand-jotted one on a piece of scrap
paper.  I would think that for $80 they would have a print-out.

I had no idea Pep Boys was a flim-flam joint.  I urge all listers to follow
my lead and stick with known, helpful, service-oriented businesses.

Oh--I pulled his plugs, cleaned and gapped them, and the light has gone out.
He DOES need new plugs and we will do that, but What are we saving?  $785?

What scumbags.    8^)

--David C.