Re: Electrolysis question

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Electrolysis question
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:24:08 -0500 6.0.1|February 07, 2003) at 03/23/2005 11:01:47 AM, Serialize complete at 03/23/2005 11:01:47 AM
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
The problem for Brass is the chemistry of the solution, not the process
itself.  It is possible to electrolytically clean almost any metal, but
the chemical composition of the solution varies with each metal.
stainless steel requires either phosphoric acid or nitric acid with
phosphoric being preferred
mild steel like a caustic solution  a higher pH cleans more quickly
Aluminum likes a mild acid such as 30% sulfuric.  It disappears quickly in
a caustic solution.
Zinc likes a VERY mild acid such as 10% sulfuric or 5% phosphoric.  It
disappears quickly in a caustic solution.

These are the ones I do from memory.  I'd have to refer to my metal
treaters handbook for other materials.

"Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
03/23/2005 10:50 AM