Re: Negative Ground conversion

To: Hal Faulkner <hal@katemuir.com>
Subject: Re: Negative Ground conversion
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:08:57 -0600
Cc: Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:17:53 -0800, Hal Faulkner <hal@katemuir.com> wrote:
> O.K. I'm making the switch to an alternator from a generator on FROG AYE.  I
> know I need to switch the battery terminals and convert the (not original)
> electronic tach to negative ground.  What else?  Is the starter going to
> turn backward or anything wierd?

No... your starter won't run backward.  Here are some excellent
instructions for converting to negative ground from the Vintage
Triumph Register:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/negative-ground.shtml

Much of it should apply to your Sprite.  In addition to what you've
done, you need to switch the leads on the coil and re-polarize the
generator.  Also, if you have an electric fan, I believe you'll have
to reverse the leads on it as well.

My Sprite was already switched over to negative ground when I bought
it, but I made the switch on my TR4 following the above instructions.
It took about 5 minutes.

Good luck!

--
Kurtis Jones