Brake Question-No clue.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Question-No clue.
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 08:24:00 -0400
    My cars are running fine at the moment, but I`ve been helping a buddy with
his 57 MGA 1500 that was unmoved for 10 years. Maybe somebody knows why we
have been unable to get a brake pedal despite running out of things to try.
   Here`s history:  Among other things, we replaced virtually the entire
hydraulic system, rebuilt sleeved MC, new WCs, hoses, steel pipes, springs,
shoes...MC bench bled. Push rods OK...Soft to no pedal. Couple minor leaks
stopped by retightening fittings and replacing a rear banjo that looked Ok but
still seeped. Disassembled MC. Looked OK. Bench bled the thing and put it
back. Stared over. Tried pedal bleeding, Mytivac, even a reverse bleeder
gadget from Eastwood. Still no luck. Then we pinched off front hoses. No
change. Pinched off rear hose. Hard pedal! That would seem to indicate air
someplace in rear, but everything back there looks good and we get no bubbles
from the R bleeders. One of the R cylinders is an aftermarket that had to be
filed some to fit in the backplate but otherwise appears OK.
      We seem to get more air from the RF bleeder than from the others. Again
that wheel looks OK, and pinching that hose has no affect on the soft pedal
condition.
      The MGA has the same basic system as my Bugeye. That has always been a
bear to bleed out after brake overhauls, but it always came around in the same
day, before my wife`s foot gave out anyway. My 1098 Midget clears out easily.
Different system, though. I`m no mechanic, but I`ve done this sort of job
several times over the years and never had to give up.  We`ve been messing
with this blinking red A for weeks and have run out of clues. Next step is to
start replacing things one at at time or to tow the car to somebody
competent.
     Before we do that can anybody out there help? Thanks,

Bert Shirey
60 Bugeye/ 66 Midget