Some thoughts \ ?'s that I wanted to pass along re. the pull of a 1275.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Some thoughts \ ?'s that I wanted to pass along re. the pull of a 1275.
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:14:25 EDT
I have finally been able to get my Bugeye on the Road here in Nor Cal - and
we have had some really nice weather - about one day a month in the midst of
unprecidented rain.

First gear in the Sprite is bummed - sounds like it has a missing tooth
(smooth case).  I have a fresh rib cage ready to go in when I get to it.  The
interesting thing is that there appears to be a fair amount of torque in the
motor
for something that only measures 1275 cc's.  First is geared so low that I
only keep it in first just to get it into a bit of forward momentum - and then
it
picks up in second very nicely.  No problem keeping up with traffic.  There
is enough torque in that little motor, and the smooth gear ratio is so low,
that I am able to really have fun with the car as though "first" didn't matter
that much.

The motor has more torque than I expected.  Not as much of course as my 95
cubic inch Harley - but the engine seems to share some of the same
characteristics for it's size.

What is the make up of this engine that allows for the torque?  Doesn't seem
to be a really long stroke engine like a Harley?  I am running SU's - are the
SU's related to torque as opposed to going to a Weber? I guess it is just a
combination of an under square motor with fairly long intake runners and the SU
carbs that allow for this little motor (along with the weight ratio of the
body, etc) that make this happen?  I am really pleased with the pull of the
motor
- but I sometimes think that it can't be possible that a little engine like
this can pull as well as it does.

Just some thoughts \ ?'s that I wanted to pass along regarding the pull of
this little motor.

Kirk
'59 Bugeye