Re: GM starter no restart when "hot" repair?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GM starter no restart when "hot" repair?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:38:32 -0700
Billy Zoom wrote:
> In the early days, my band toured in an Airstream-bodied GMC step van.
> I had to stick a funnel into a piece of heater hose that went through the
> firewall to just above the starter so I could pour water on the solenoid to
> cool it.  Maybe not the best solution, but it got us through the tour.

Amazingly, GM still hasn't figured this one out. I was watching one of
the big endurance races (Sebring? not sure) that required the cars to be
shut down during fueling.

Sure enough, the million-dollar C5-R wouldn't restart. Without batting
an eye, one of the pit crew dumped *liquid nitrogen* through a tube at
the base of the windshield to get it to restart.

I fell out of my chair laughing. Multi-million dollar team budget,
racing two cars all over the world, and they still can't make things
start hot.

That only worked a few times, and they ended up replacing the starter
later in the race.

-Z