Miata Lore and more Re: Lucas kiss my $$

To: Nory <nory@buffnet.net>, David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miata Lore and more Re: Lucas kiss my $$
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:52:02 -0700 (PDT)
--- Nory <nory@buffnet.net> wrote:
> What is "Miata" supposed to mean?

Nothing, really.  When they designed the car, they
designed it around a Japanese phrase, something like
"Kansei", I don't remember exactly, but it means,
roughly, "oneness between horse and rider".  The
project leader was convinced to pursue the idea by
taking him on a ride in the mountains of California in
a Spitfire.  The Lotus Elan was used in the design
studio next to the clay model of the Miata as the
guide for the shape and proportions.  The CRX
convertible (an aftermarket chop-job by Straman) was
also used for as an "inspiration" for what a modern 2
seat convertible could do.  The MR2 was also studied,
as a mid-engine design was also considered.

This is all documented in an excellent Miata
"encyclopedia" that Mazda gave me when I bought my
first one in 1990.

Ron Soave

When opportunity knocks, don't bitch about the noise.