How to fix - weld or braze? 2005.4.26.8 0, __CT 0, __CTYPE_HAS_BOUNDARY

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: How to fix - weld or braze? 2005.4.26.8 0, __CT 0, __CTYPE_HAS_BOUNDARY 0, __CTYPE_MULTIPART 0, __CTYPE_MULTIPART_ALT 0, __HAS_MSGID 0, __HAS_X_MAILER 0, __MIME_HTML 0, __MIME_VERSION 0, __SANE_MSGID 0, __TAG_EXISTS_HTML 0'
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:40:24 -0400
Hi Folks,
I have found that both doors of my '66 Sprite have cracks on the top of the
doors that radiate from the window slots. There is one crack in front of
the slot and one in the rear. They both radiate from the window slot inward
on top of the door. It is apparent that closing the door with the door pull
causes the inside door sheet metal to flex. Over time the crack developed.
I have two other doors from a parts car with the same problem.

I can weld (MIG or gas) or braze the cracks. I am thinking that if welded,
the crack will probably just move over along side the weld after a short
period of time. Brazing would add a little filler material over a larger
area so should last longer - at least that is what I am thinking. I suppose
I could insert a reinforcing piece too, but that seems like more work than
is necessary. However, I though I would ask the group:

1) if others have noticed this problem?
2) how did you go about fixing the problem?

The other alternative is to not use the door pulls, but rather grasp the
top of the door and slam it shut. Welding the doors shut is not an option
for me. <G>.

Tim Collins
Dollar Bay, MI
1966 AH Sprite