What I learned in the shop today or the pedal box episode

Subject: What I learned in the shop today or the pedal box episode
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:45:16 -0400
Both my master cylinders were leaking, the pedal box was rusty and the hole
for the clevis pin on the clutch pedal was so oval that it was almost worn
through! It needed a bit of work and I learned a whole bunch of things in
the process.

1) Welding up the hole clutch is easy if you have a big piece of copper to
put on the other side
2) When you powder coat the clutch master cylinder you learn the following:
a) The cylinder is soldered together and solder melts below the highest temp
for powder coating. I got lucky and only flowed a bit of solder to one end
and it still holds fluid.
b) To bench bleed the cylinder you must put your finger over the output hole
or it will never bleed. You can pump the thing about 1000 times and still no
joy.
3) Only in my garage is powder coating softened by brakekleen. Brake fluid
has no effect on powder coating. Go figure.
4) Leather welding gloves offer less protection from hot items from an oven
than you would think.
5) It is a real bitch to get the powder into a 90 degree corner.

That is about it for the night. Tomorrow I rebuild the brake MC and put the
whole thing back together.

I assume that you just use a heavy grease on the pin that the pedals rotate
pivot on. Is that correct?

Gilroy