Re: Rear Wheel Gear Oil Leak

To: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>, <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel Gear Oil Leak
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:26:27 -0500
Bert wrote:
>     If in doing all this you found that the bearing was loose in the hub,
so
> that you think yoy didn`t need the machine shop pressafter all, that was
> likely why it was leaking in the first place. Use a sealing compound to
hold
> the outer race in the hub, but it won`t last. Start looking for a new hub.
> Cheers...

I had the same problem.The new bearing just slopped around in the hub.
Apparently the hub inner diameter had just been worn away. After trying
unsuccessfully to find an oversized bearing outer race, I decided to get
radical. I cut some aluminum shimstock from a Budwieser beer can, coated
both sides with Loctite 515, and press fit the bearing into the hub with the
coated shim stock. It took a little patience, but so far it's been working.

Bud Pazur

"The Buddha... resides as comfortably in the gears of a...transmission as he
does in the petals of a flower"

- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and  the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance