RE: Alpine 500 Car Rally - Saab

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>, "Mike Aarset" <mike.aarset@gmail.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alpine 500 Car Rally - Saab
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 18:35:37 -0400
LOL!  erik "on the roof" carlson.   i met him a few years ago and it was
one of the oddest things ever to happen to me!  he looked at my name tag
and asked "do you know joe christ?" (that's my father) i was shocked beyond
words! i answerwed "yes that's my father"!  erik responded "he was a very
very good driver" .  wich absolutly freaked me out!  turns out erik and my
father know each other, wich up to that moment in time i had not known!
i get home and 8am the very next day i call my father and said something to
my dad like "i did not know you knew erik carlson, why didn't you ever
mention that to me?"...my father's response was exactly this!!   "i did not
think it was importaint"!   just another moment in time where i find out
who my father raced against or knew during his racing career.   as a child
, those people he raced against were just another driver on just another
race weekend.    now they are either icons of motor sports that are
unaproachable at events guarded by security people and you must pay to get
their autographs or they have slid into obscurity or have passed away by
this point in time.    jim hall used to send me a christmas card evry year
with that year's chaparall race car on the front of the card.   jim would
address the card to: chief mechanic of F&S (father and son) racing! LOL!  i
was just a child and i guess it was funny i would help my dad work on cars
in the pits as a 7-8-9 or 10 year old.  BTW, i have jim's cards in a scrap
book put away im my basement.  ;)

chuck.
BTW, my dad raced saabs back in the late 50's and early 60's and at 1 event
beat erik.   erik never forgot that.  LOL!
check out the cars at :   www.vintagesaab.com/vsrg   under my cars.  my
bugeye is depicted there too.