Some MKIII Midget questions I need help with.... j4MGQCX7029673

To: Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some MKIII Midget questions I need help with.... j4MGQCX7029673
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:23:22 -0500
Spridget lovers,

Those of you on the midgetsprite list already know about my morning
midget misfortune (MMM), but for the rest of you, here it is...
Well, gang. The overheating problem just became lower priority. I
drove the midget to work again this morning. As I turned into the
airport where I work, I downshifted into 3rd but it didn't want to go
at first. Finally it did but when I let the clutch out something went
*bang* and I lost all power to the drive line. Engine still running
like a top but no go. With the engine running I could shift into all
gears (even first) without the clutch so I'm guessing the rib case
gave out on me.
Sob!

Okay, so now you know what happened. Here's my predicament;
I am a loooong way from any place that works on LBCs, I'm a
near mechanical moron, and I have never worked on a midget
before. Sooooo....  here are some questions I need help with...

Clutch I can probably manage by myself but....

1) If it's the rib case tranny, who can I ship it to that can do a
quality rebuild on it?

2) If I opt for the Datsun 5 speed conversion, where do I find a good
rebuilt Datsun tranny and how much mechanical moxie does it take
to go this route?  Is there a conversion kit for this?

3) Finally, am I going to have to pull the damned engine to get to the
tranny and clutch???

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers!!
Jim - with a broken midget in Dodge City
--
1964 R60/2
1968 MG Midget