Re: Leaf Springs

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaf Springs
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 22:56:08 -0400 reply-type=response
> Wat makes these springs break?
> David Lieb

Carrying around all those "upgrades" - door windows, boot lids, thick seats,
door panels, padded dash, etc. that our better looking Bugeyes don't have.
:-)

Actually, I believe it's just fatigue after all these years.  The leaf
springs probably have a finite number of "flexes" in them, and you've
exceeded that number.  I've had to replace leaf springs in a bunch of
different vehicles I've owned, including my Sprites.  I've never seen a
broken coil spring though, not to say that it can't happen.  They just get
shorter as they age.

Rick
'59 & '61 Sprites