Dixon show (long)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dixon show (long)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:19:41 -0700
Another year gone by and another Dixon show in the books.  It was pretty hot
yesterday at the Dixon Fairgrounds and shade was at a premium.  There were
about 250 Birtish cars in attendance and more than the usual number of
vendors.  I wasn't looking for anything since all three cars are now pretty
complete, but was thrilled to find a good condition factory workshop manual
for the Austin A35 for just $10.  Since I happen to have a completely
disassembled A35 sitting in my garage.......pretty damn handy!

The Healey Silverstone was back this year and still looking great.  There was
an un-repentent, unrestored Morris Minor that looked like it had been dragged
from an irrigation canal with the bodies still in it.  Defiantly painted with
the name "Wharf Rat", it sat among the spit and polish crowd like a rag-clad
bum at a cocktail party.  Thinking about it, the painted name "Wharf Rat" was
the only paint left on the car.  A Mark I unrestored Rover flaunted its rough
looks that suggested a long past of dark continent exploration.

There was the usual HUGE group of big Healeys, a smattering of MGBs, MGAs, TDs
and TFs.  As always, there were many Triumphs, TR 2,3,4,6 and 7, and a Triumph
2000 Roadster that was gorgeous. Only one or two 120 Jags, a nice Mk9, a few
E-types and assorted other Jags of various types.

I recall three Morris Minor woodies, a few convertibles ans a sedan or two,
and a beautiful Morris Minor PU with custom wood side rails.  It was as pretty
a little tradesman's pickup as anyone could want.  He had even made a Union
Jack flag of wooden inlay with rope separations between the painted panels
that served as the bed of the pickup.  Pretty cool.

David Riker was there with his extra fine Midget, and there were five bugeyes.
I recognized several other listers who will hopefully chime in with their show
recollections.  Missing was Larry and Sandi Miller (what happened guys?).
Present was lister Kirk, tire-kicking the bugeyes to fire himself up for his
progressing restoration.  David McCartney (Captain Rapture) was spotted
briefly, as was Wrong-way Ricky and his wife Carol in the vendor's area,
trying to make space in their garage for the next project by selling off the
leftovers from the last one.  With my lousy recall of names, I'm sure a few
other attending listers will soon chime in.

Crash Ramsey was resplendent in his chauffered Jeep as he drove around the
showgrounds casting a critical eye on the attendees.  The smell of carmelized
onions on a British banger sandwich finally drew him out onto the grass.

Good day, good cars, good deal on the shop manual, good food.

Over and out for now,

Glen Byrns