brake project ahead

To: "Midget Group at team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake project ahead
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 08:35:02 -0400
Upon pushing my '78 Midget out of the garage this spring, I discovered (A) a
pool of brake fluid where the front-left corner of the car stood, (B) an empty
brake fluid cup, and (C) only about 20% brake capacity.  Being the sensible
soul that I am, I filled up the cup and proceeded to drive it about 6 miles via
back roads to my friendly neighborhood Brit-car repair shop for an assessment.
 They determined that I needed a new switch assembly (the cause of the puddle),
new hoses all around, and new or rebuilt rear brake cylinders (the seals are
apparently going).  AND while they were in there, they would re-do the rear
axle seals.   All this for a mere $1100.   The calipers seem to be OK.

I have never done brake work before, but this seems my golden opportunity.  My
plan is to flatbed the midget home (the garage owner tells me his lawyer
insists), and stock up on a bunch of parts from Moss.

Replacing the parts seems a straightforward bolt-up project, however, simply
because I've never had to do it, "brake fluid handling" has always been a bit
of a mystery.   Can someone recommend one of the bleeding gadgets, like the
Mity-Vac or Moss's "Eezibleed"?  Any other general brake-project tips, or tools
to consider?  I am using Dot-3 and don't plan to change at this point.

Thanks,
Steve