I'm back

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm back
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 17:34:26 EDT
Hi List, & chums,

I'm back after a week and a day off list on my summer holiday with the family
(the Isle of Wight - anything much happen while I was away?

Holiday update while I'm here.

Hire car (only my Sprite in this household!) was supposed to be a Ford Mondeo
but I guess we got what was an upgrade to an MPV which was a Toyota Corolla
Verso.  Car had a square thing that went into a slot rather than a proper key.
Don't know the engine size but I'd guess 1600 or 1800cc but gutless with no
torque compared to my Spridget (my Spridget has been tuned for torque and pulls
well from 3000rpm in 5th on a 3.9 diff).  Toyota practically needed 3rd at
70mph before it would get a move on - probably a typical 16 valve motor.

Car was nearly new with 384 miles on what passed for a clock, and my youngest
girl tested the durability of the upholstry with some vomit, early on in the
journey.  I think I need a lawyer to sue the travel sickness pills
manufacturers because their pills just don't work.  Later on both my daughters
gave the
electric windows a good work-out which the motors survived.  I managed to the
get the cruise control light to display but never got the function to work.

Holiday was ok and rode in a steam train (well a carriage pulled by a steam
train) which I think was a first for me?  Went to a better class of zoo where
the animals have a decent amount of space, (unlike London zoo which made me
feel sad and which I've never been to since).  Did a lot of usual holiday staff
and drove home.

My wife hates navigating so I need to remind her I swear less during holiday
navigation than my parents did when I was a kid and the journey is easier than
it was for them in a Morris Minor ( I think the engine used half a gallon of
oil each way).

Daniel