Rollbars

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rollbars
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 10:44:23 -0700 (PDT)
After seeing a Spridget that was T-Boned just behind the DS Door I can say with
certainty that the Rollbar saved this guys life. Car was totaled when the
Buick ran the Stop Sign and hit the Spridget at relatively low speed.
Relatively in these cars is anything over 5 mph. The added structural
stiffening provided by the Rollbar allowed the car to be pushed sideways rather
than have the passenger compartment completely crushed. No the Rollbar may not
protect you in the case of a true rollover but I dont think it can hurt.

Now I need answers on what constitutes a properly installed Rollbar. I
purchased a used, Autopower I believe, Rollbar from a fellow lister. Rollbar is
installed with large Grade 8 Bolts and Nuts and backed up with several large
Fender Washers on the under side. Any other recommended way of securing the
underside to the car. Welding is not an option at this point, and I need to be
able to get the top up and down.

I can say that installing the Rollbar in Bugsy my 68 limits the rake of the
seat by almost an inch. I can remove the headrests from the seat and gain that
inch back but I think Ill make the tradeoff and keep the headrest on. Also I
now need to go to a smaller steering wheel as the car really feels much more
confined as I now sit closer to the steering wheel. Im not a big person at
56 and 175 lbs, Chuck how you ever fit into your Sprite is beyond me.

Any advice of properly securing the Rollbar would be appreciated.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH

Discover Yahoo!