Broken Tranny - kinda long j5H8hCFK031272

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, midgesprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Broken Tranny - kinda long j5H8hCFK031272
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:43:26 -0500
Okay, Spridgeteers, ya'll have talked me into getting real brave for
someone afflicted with MMD (mechanical moron disease) so if I screw up
now it's on *your* heads!

I have finally got down to screwing around with the broken midget and
the diagnosis is broken rib case transmission. In a few days a friend
I bribed with home-brew is coming over to help pull the lump. I've
already got the drive shaft out and will replace the U joints on the
bench. The differential is awfully sloppy with lots of lash......or
are they supposed to be
that way?

I looked in *oss Mutters, Victoria's British Secret, and several other
locations just long enough to need bypass surgery. There I determine
that replacing the tranny and diff with rebuilds would cost me about
twice what I paid for the car.  Even going with the Datsun 5 speed....
  So.........

Here's my questions for you erudite lot.....

I have a very good local machine shop but they've never seen a
Spridget. Dare I trust them with the tranny and/or diff???

I see there is a kit available for the tranny but not all the gears
seem to be available. Is the contents of the kit normally enough to do
the job (baring something like some really chewed up gears)??

What about the diff - is there a kit available for it? Can it be rebuilt easily?

I have two spare, used rib cases in various states of disassembly
which I got with the car.
Given that I have MMD, will I need any special tools to attempt the
tranny myself??  My concern here is that I will run into some close
tolerances with things needing pressed on to other things. I don't
have a press, nor do I know how to use one....

What if I give the machine shop both of the used trannies and see if
they can come up with one good rebuild out of it?? Is that doable or
am I completely off the mark here??

If I take the trannies in to the shop, they are probably going to ask
for specs and tolerances aren't they?  Is there a source for that
info?  WIll my Clymer manual be enough for them??

All input gratefully accepted.....

Cheers!!
Jim - with a hitch in his MG get-along here in Dodge City
--
1964 R60/2 BMW
1968 MG Midget