Engine Smoke Question

To: "Bugeye" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, "Spridget" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Smoke Question
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:25:22 -0700 reply-type=original
Engine is a +40 1275 with aluminum head with 12:1 CR. Total advance is 35
degrees at 3500 RPM using the Aldon Yellow dizzy (centrifugal). Engine has a
PCV and is vented to the front runner on a Canon Weber manifold.

Car runs like a scalded dog. Oil usage is about a quart per 400 miles.

On startup there is an initial puff of smoke. On all shifts up/down there is
a small puff only noticeable to the car behind me. This sounds like a
guide/valve seal problem and has been going on for some time.  No smoke at
any other time.

I have no reason to suspect the head gasket is blown.

I just changed the exhaust header/pipe/muffler and went from a down curved
tip to a straight tip that is about even with the rear body lip. Now a heavy
residue of soot (kind of oily) collects on the bottom of the fender/rear
panel after 20 mile drive. I assume that this was being directed downward
before so I never saw anything. It may have been happening for some time
now.

I'm running the 4 prong spark plugs and the prongs #1 & #3 are black and
slightly oily. The prongs on #2 & #4 are dark grey but don't  show any oil.
The center electrode is light brown on all 4 plugs.

Compression Dry/Wet is as follows:

1) 200/235
2) 218/240
3) 190/240
4) 218/245

I checked multiple times dry and the numbers  were consistent.

Thoughts?????

Larry Miller
http://www.ado13.com