Re: Audio Q, tunes for my midget

To: Chris King <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net> j6DNkfek007435
Subject: Re: Audio Q, tunes for my midget
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:45:56 -0700
> what voltage the speaker outs from a typical car stereo
> are?
It depends on the impedance of the load.  15 watts into a 4 load is about
7.75volts.  15 watts into an 8 load is about 11volts.  If the speaker
outputs are terminated only by the input impedance of the power amp, you
could be looking at an impedance of ten thousand ohms or more, but the
higher the impedance is, the less wattage the transistors put out and it's
unlikely that your stereo puts out an honest 15 watts anyway. Most car
stereos are rated for momentary peak watts into no load during a full lunar
eclipse.  In other words, you'll have to try it and see what happens.  If it
sounds awful, email me and I'll tell you what to try next. I don't think
you'll kill anything.
BZ