Ignition timing

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition timing
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:27:29 -0400 reply-type=original
I need help setting dwell and timing on my 1275 engine please.  I started a
tune up before the Valentines' rallye by replacing the points, condenser and
rotor.  I also reset the idle speed, mixture and balanced the carbs.  Car
ran well except the idle tends to get fast after the engine is hot.  However
my problem is that at the rally the engine temps were at or near 212 degrees
most of the time.  Granted the weather was high air and humidy but I had
never seen the coolant temps so high.

I want to set dwell and also time the ignition.  My book says distributor
cam closed is 60 degrees and ignition timing 22 degrees at 1000 rpm.  Does
this sound accurate and how do I set the timing to that reference?  Thanks
everyone I'm sure this is basic stuff for most all of you but I'm trying to
learn as these things come up.  I'm armed and ready with my dwell/tach and
timing light.  I see a scale on the block with hash marks but with the fan
and oil separator etc. its tough to tell what the marks are.

Phil Nase
'60 Bugeye 'x 2
http://home.ptd.net/~nase