RE: In deep doo-doo; clutch fork is bent

To: "'Dan Gillitzer'" <dang@ticon.net>
Subject: RE: In deep doo-doo; clutch fork is bent
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:44:58 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
First it would be the first time I've heard of a bent clutch fork on a
spridget in 30 years.  They are cast and really strong but would break
before they bend. Now for a little spridget clutch fork 101, the smoothcase
and ribcase trannys use different forks that look a lot a like but won't
interchange.  The biggest difference is that they have a different pivot
point and will not line up in the wrong case. Do always replace the pivot
bushing when you work on the clutch and also the bolt if it is worn badly.
That's enough about the fork. Your problem is that when they worked on the
clutch before I bet they shortened the rod, get one the right size and try
that, I bet it fixes your problem.  No cherry picker needed.
                Crash

Oh man. Trying to bleed the clutch tonight. Alot. Finally noticed when the
slave piston is all the way out there is clearance, the piston hasn't even
started pushing the rod. This is my first LBC, never noticed or thought
twice
about the release fork having a bend in it, thought it was supposed to be
that
way.
First of all, Moss, VB and AHSpares, none show a fork available for a 948
(unsure if they mean a smoothcase is different than a ribcase or what), but
at
any rate if someone has one I could use it.
Second, is this a warning sign, could it happen again right away? I've
replaced all the other clutch components, the old clutch had washers
inserted
above the springs, if this is a clue.
At least I never really got a serious amount of work done after getting the
engine in, maybe this is how you guys get so good at R&R these motors at the
track and so forth. I can borrow a cherry picker, so that's not a problem,
not
like having to rent one.
Dan G