Re: Tranny Spacer

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Tranny Spacer
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:22:53 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
David,

I'm not familiar with this particular transmission, but I can give you
some guidance based on my needle bearing experience.

The main purpose for washers/spacers (if needed) is to guide bearing to
keep the rollers away from the edges of the inner and outer raceways.
With a cage and roller assembly in the input/mainshaft (or spigot)
position, they should not be needed if there are shoulders on the input
shaft race bore and mainshaft OD which are hardened and contact the cage
close to the roller centerline. If a spacer is needed, I expect it would
be on the input shaft side, leaving the end open to the gearbox to allow
splash lubrication to get into the bearing.

In any case, just make sure that there is .008" minimum end clearance in
the bearing to avoid binding up the cage.

If this is confusing, let me know what questions you have and I will be
glad to talk about it or send sketches/drawings.

Mike Myers