RE: Daughter's New (used) Car [NO LBC]

To: "Bill L" <pythias@pacifier.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Daughter's New (used) Car [NO LBC]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:27:53 -0400
toyota's "mister 2" is quite a little mid engine rocket ship.   they are
real pain in the (you know where!) to ge tthe cooling system purged of air
if for any reason you need to empty it out and they are prone to some
difficulties with the shift cables.   but over all it's a neat car!
be very carefull with under car rust in the unitised body !
as for the what do ya think portion of the question?
one of the smallest AND shortest books ever yet to be published will be
"collectable asian cars"!
what cars might be collectable?    the obvious limited production stuff and
expensive stuff always seems to have "some" value well down the road after
production ends.   but as for most all else?   i do not think that the way
cars are built today with numerous facilities making cars of the same type,
using difrent suppliers for each line is very conducive to the cars having
enough consistancy to actually have much value as verification of
originality in the future, will be very difficult .    and we all know evry
spridget we have owned was quite the original car upon purchase...right?
or at least that was what we were told....?
speculation on future collectable cars will be a very difficult thing to
do.   while many cars are holding excellent resale values due to some good
engineering for mechanical longevity, i seriously doubt you will see many
of today's cars we see regularly on the road being considered "collectable"
or "valuable".
there will ALWAYS be the car bought new by someone who used it very little
and has been garage kept that will be in superb condition here and there!
but you know as well as i do , those are usually 4 door econo boxes or
giant land barges!    the stories of the 57 corvette recently found , put
in storage by the owner's father in '57 and never has seen the light of day
since, or the car a person comitted suicide in , or other stories abound!
(some actually have some base truth !)  but again will a honda civic be
collectable in 20 years or a hyundai sonata.....i honestly have my doubts.

chuck.
the days of watching the submarine races in your car with yer best girl are
long gone !
now it is the times of the import tuners and stereo competitions!
my funniest take on all this is folks with hopped up old sports cars in my
estimation were or are the original "import tuners"!     kids today are
treating the import tuner craze like it's something "new"!  it's not!   my
semi rally prepped 67 saab and my old H-prod. bugeye well preceed the cars
of today.....
(good lord!  i'm fossilising as i write!)    :)