speedometer trick

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedometer trick
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:56:31 -0700
I was just going over the forum on the "Flying A" website for Austin A30 and
A35 owners and found a GREAT tip many Spridgets can use.

One A35 owner frustrated with the inaccuracy of his speedometer after changing
out his differential figured out a smart and "we tight" method to put an
accurate speedometer, odometer, tripmeter etc into a car.

He mounted a bicycle cyclometer on the dash, made up a simple extension wire
to reach back to the rear wheel where he mounted the sensor.  He then
hot-glued the magnet to the wheel in alignment with the sensor.  Follw the
calibration technique given in the cyclometer instructions, punch in the
calibration number and away you go!  You should be able to get a decent one
for about $35-$60.

I've used them on my bikes for years and I can tell you that they are far more
accurate than the average car speedo/odo.  If you do the calibration carefully
you can get them to +/- 1% accuracy.  One trick not mentioned in the set-up
instructions is to have someone else push the car with you in it for two or
three revolutions of the measured wheel.  Then divide the resulting distance
by 2 or 3 to get a very accurate calibration number.  I'm going to put one on
the bugeye right away and go get another one for the Austin.

Hey  Ed, Gerard, Jacques, how about putting this tip on your web pages?

Regards,
Glen Byrns