Resistor Spark Plugs

To: "'spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Resistor Spark Plugs
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:33:04 -0700
Matt,

Thanks for the info... as I said, I was quoting what I read... and now I
know better, as you obviously know what you are talking about!

By the way, one of the sites quoting the longer spark, etc, is here:

http://www.ultralightnews.com/enginetroublshooting/resistorcapsandplugs.htm

JLC

Matt wrote:
Sorry, but that's a myth.  Resistor plugs do not have a longer spark nor do
they have a weaker spark.  Ohms law pertains to a closed circuit...it you've
got a closed circuit you've got bigger problems to worry.  When a spark plug
builds up electrons just before sparking Ohms law is a non-factor.  A
resistor plug is also not anymore susceptible to misfire than a non-resistor
plug.  The only advantage of non-resistor plugs is for racing and it's not
about voltage or spark as you might suspect.  The resistor is made of carbon
and in very high current race applications it is possible to burn up the
resistor resulting in an open circuit.  Thus use of non-resistor plugs in
racing applications is simply to improve reliability.  For everyday driving,
it's a non-factor and there is no reason not to use a resistor plug.